Thursday 25 April 2013

LaraLoves a divisive opinion

My latest twitter rant about my mild dislike (#understatement) of the 8+ year legging trend evoked a mixed response.




My post was prompted by the sight of yet another girl wearing leggings as trousers. Unfortunately, the said offender had either purchased a pair of poor quality leggings or, had worn them so much that they had become see through. Also, being a runner, I can say with confidence that she had not been within 18 miles of a) a treadmill, b) a squat rack or, c) (at the very least) a Zumba class, for quite some time (read EVER).

That's not to say that this should be adopted by anyone with even a VS model standard pair of pins;



See through, see through, camel toe, see through... GAG.

Now,  in the spirit of fair debate, most of the replies I received read as follows;

" There'so comfy though" ... " You're generalising.." ...."But they look amazing on..."

Response;
  1. Yes, they are comfy and yes, you may wear them when; exercising, lounging at home, walking the dog etc. 
  2. Running tights are not leggings, they are functional sports wear, made from sweat wicking opaque (hopefully) fabrics, not cotton and worn for ..exercise.. which may help with the thigh issue.
  3. Yes, they do look amazing on Audrey, Mirander Kerr, RHW and Olivia Palermo;


But WHY do they look amazing? Firstly, stating the obvious, the size of their thighs and length of their legs. I know this is going to seriously upset some people, but tight items look better on tight bodies! Secondly, the items are all good quality. Thirdly and most importantly- styling.

Maybe its because I live in Surrey but, if I see another girl wearing leggings, Hollister/ Abercrombie and a pair of Uggs or Vans im going to.... baaaaaaa....stop being a sheep.

If all this is falling on deaf ears, then I note the following from various well dressed style mavens in leggings;
  1. Heels, pointed flats or over the knee boots (think riding style)- lengthen  and/or break up the leg.
  2. Long tops/ coats/ tailoring- add structure to a sporty legging and cover your ass/ C.T- ew.
  3. Shine will add bulk, so if dabbling in a leather look go matte.
  4. Underwear.. no one wants to see it... check yourself before you wreck yourself.
  5. Dark colours. 
With all this said, I think the real reason I dislike leggings.. is.. well.. it's just a bit lazy. Again I'm generalising as I like the above looks, but generally  it's easy to throw on a pair and not think about the outfit much. I know we all have lazy days.. and hell... fat days, but I personally just dont think leggings are the answer to either...When you feel down- dress up!

Swap ins that look much better;

1. Midi

2. Coloured jean

3. Chino


Give it a little thought... Blair would have your head....

No comments:

Post a Comment